This area is the vacation hot spot in Ohio with a large variety of attractions and things to do and see. But you don’t have to go anywhere or if, you are looking for a comfortable spot to have a small reunion of friends, we offer five upscale public rooms with a well-stocked library, a living room with fireplace, an enclosed sun porch, and a roomy foyer where we have provided tables for playing cards and games. Outside, there are nicely landscaped gardens where guests often take a morning or evening walking tour.
If you are interested in area attractions, there are several in the area and something for everyone. For example, if you have interests in auto racing, you may want to attend a drag race at one of the top drag strips in the country, Summit Motorsports Park located only 10 minutes away. For golfers, we have several golf courses in the area and an excellent one, Eagle Creek Golf Club, located not more than ten minutes away plus a nine-hole course even closer.
If there is an interest in touring Wineries, there are two nice local Norwalk wineries, D & D Smith Winery and Shady Ridge Vineyards, both offering great wines but also a dining. Further, for the wine venturers, six additional wineries are within 30 minutes of our location including: Firelands Winery, Paper Moon, Matus Winery, Copper Whale, and The Winerie. Of special mention, there is also Quarry Hill Winery and restaurant with a great farm market all surrounded by peach and apple orchards and grape vineyards. Many of the wineries have restaurants and provide entertainment on a scheduled basis.
Just minutes away is Lake Erie with naturally appealing water activities and site seeing such as the Marblehead Lighthouse. Several of our guests have visited one or more of the Lake Erie Islands (Kelley’s Island or Put-In-Bay) via ferry boats departing from various spots along Lake Erie. If the Islands interests you, check out the Goodtime I and Jet Express with cruises to both Islands departing from downtown Sandusky.
For those seeking special excitement, there is one of the most highly rated amusement parks in the country, Cedar Point in Sandusky, with 17 roller coasters, several rides and live entertainment.
For the history buffs, we suggest a visit to our local Firelands Museum (an easy walk from us), President Hayes Center in Fremont or Thomas Edison's Birthplace in Milan. Once you've seen our stately West Main Street homes, you'll want to take a walking tour of the Historic West Main Street District where periodically, summer guided walking tours were given by the local Firelands Historical Society. Many guests have also taken the short walk to the revitalized and historic uptown area with several unique shops including an Amish Oak store - Arters, a couple of specialty furniture / home decorating shops, a coffee shop Sherri's, a jewelers, antique shops, and other unique shops including When Pigs Fly.
You may wish to have a massage and we have a nice one, Christian Roberts Salon and Spa, in the Uptown area with a full floor dedicated to spa services. And just north of Milan, the Culinary Vegetable Institute offers an unparalleled fine dining experience that focuses on locally grown products.
For those who wish to actively participate themselves, there are golf courses to play plus we have tennis courts available in the next block, biking / hiking trails nearby, fishing excursions on Lake Erie, horseback riding in the area and more.
If you have some special interest, we'll be happy to assist you and can provide maps or directions.
- Eagle Creek Championship Golf Club - Norwalk - 10 minutes - Well manicured 18-hole country club type course with great fairways, tees, and greens. Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest.
- Summit Motorsports Park- 10 minutes - One of the best drag strips in the country - 30,000 seats - World Nationals plus several special events.
- Firelands Museum, Lanning Research Building and Firelands Historical Society - Norwalk - 5 minutes - second oldest museum in Ohio – Past Guided Walking Tours of West Main Street District ...activities such as: Norwalk Garden Tours , Open House Tours, Outstanding Guest Speaker programs.
- Health Spa / Massages (5 minutes) - Norwalk --- Christian Roberts Salon & Spa -Easy 15 minute walk or less than 5 minute drive. Full spa with dedicated floor to spa treatments.
- Cedar Point Amusement Park - Sandusky - 25 minutes - For the young in us all. Live shows, 16 roller coasters, lots of rides.... voted best park on the planet.
- President Hayes Center - Fremont, Ohio - 35 minutes - Tour the 19th President's stately 31-room Victorian Mansion and visit the nation's first presidential library all on a 25-acre wooded estate.
- Thomas Edison's 1847 birthplace Milan, Ohio - 10 minutes - Visit the birthplace of the world's greatest inventor with 1093 American patents -- quaint city square with antique and specialty shops or visit Milan Historical Museum, Milan, Ohio
- Kingwood Center -- Mansfield, Ohio - 40 minutes - A forty-seven acre display garden and cultural center - Beautiful gardens.
- Marblehead Lighthouse, Marblehead - 50 minutes - One of the most photographed sites on Lake Erie
- Restaurants -- As the premier vacation area in Ohio, there's plenty of restaurants in the area however we have picked a few Unique Restaurants (non-chain) in the area to recommend: In Uptown Norwalk - Berrys Restaurant and Dinky Pub & Grille- Scheduled to reopen in 2022, an easy walk to a Norwalk tradition of casual dining in a nostalgic atmosphere of tin ceilings, stained glass, historic photos. Also, in the uptown Norwalk is the Freight House that utilizes an old train station which specializes in tasty ribs, great hamburgers, and meals. Huron, Angry Bull Steakhouse featuring prime rib, great steaks & seafood, Chez François - Vermilion -- one of the top restaurants in the Zagat Survey for Ohio. Terrific view on the Vermilion River and you'll be treated to a truly wonderful French dining experience
- Amish Country – as near as 30 minutes